Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Fast Way to Learn

Inspired by my daughter and inspite of common sense I recently joined a 100 day fast in solidarity with the victims of genocide in Darfur. I signed up for one day of fasting at the Stop Genocide Now website and made a contribution to the World Food Programme

I confess I did a liquid fast which included my morning tea, a protein drink and fresh vegetable and fruit juice. Thus I didn’t receive the full "gift" of the fast because I didn’t have to go through withdrawal from caffeine and sugar nor did I have to threaten my health.

I was, however, surprised at the benefits I did receive. A list of my revelations and ultimately the opening of my heart for one young girl in a refugee camp in Chad is reflected in my letter to her below.

Dear Zanuba,

I thought of you all day yesterday during my fast. I wondered if you were playing or singing songs or learning something new. I know one thing for sure, you did not have enough of anything you need. I wish I could come there and bring you everything you need to grow into a strong young woman. Because I believe you and each of your friends have something wonderful and important to contribute to our human family.

Dubai Cares just gave money- a lot of money -16.6 million dollars- to help educate Sudanese Children through Save the Children UK and Sweden. This seems like a good idea but all I could think of was how will you get your share of this education, in a camp in Chad? How can you learn when you are not safe or comfortable or fed? As a girl will you get your share?

I tried to work and fast yesterday. It was very hard to concentrate, to think. I wondered how you can learn anything new after days and days of not eating properly or sleeping well.


It was hard for me to sleep last night on empty stomach. I am cranky this morning- I have not yet had my breakfast. I want to be mad at everyone and everything. I am extra tired. I wonder if it must be hard for the adults to show how much they love you when they are cranky from not eating or sleeping well.

I know my fasting cannot change your life in the camp in Chad directly, but it will mean I will never forget you and your family and friends in the camps. I will think of you three times a day, at least.

Your Friend,
Kathleen

No comments: