Friday, May 2, 2008

Introduction


At age ten I didn't worry about my values, commitments, or priorities. I couldn't tell you what they were or where they came from. However, I did get an inkling from my favorite family game. At dinner Gramps would ask: 'If you were banished to a desert island FOREVER, what ten things would you take with you?" I received a shock at some of the answers given by my family and friends. You would take what?! A dictionary, a basketball, paint brushes, rose bushes, your hot water bottle. Is that what's important to you? Wow! Or, Why?


It made me realize there were things going on in other people's heads and lives that I couldn't imagine. It inspired me to take a good hard look at my own list, and thus, I honed my soul via Contemplation of the List for the first time.

Over the years I learned that lists of Chores To Do on Saturday, or Books Recommended by Friends, or Due Dates for Bills could enhance my quality of life and bring peace of mind. I used lists from "experts" to inventory my Spending, my Use of Time, my Insured Belongings, my Career Expectations. I relished using lists at work to break Impossible Assignments into Important Things to Accomplish Today.

Then I hit the heavy stuff. I used lists of Climbing Gear, Disease Symptoms, and The Unforgiven to save my life.

Sometimes fun, sometimes irreverent, sometimes spiritual, or grim, there was a lesson in every list I created.

I'm delighted to share my lists with you, and I would love to read your lists. I put them forth in no particular order of importance. Some will be lighthearted, some heavy handed. They keep me in my heart and on my toes.

No comments: