Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fundamental Human Rights

It may be whiplash to go from one person on a desert island to the entire human race in one post, but I wanted to give a sense of the breadth and depth that can be covered when one contemplates lists.

In this list, I tried to include those things that I thought were actually possible, because we can individually assure them for each other and or they are available if mankind as a whole will cooperate.

If these are allowed, I believe things like peace, emotional support, education, and health care will follow naturally.


My List of Seven Fundamental Human Rights

1. Right to Worship as You Choose
2. Freedom from Hate Crimes
3. Protection from Unprovoked Violence
4. Meaningful Productive Work
5. Nurturing Physical Environment (I believe there are enough resources on this planet for all of us to have nutritious food, clean air & water, and shelter.)
6. A Voice in your Community
7. Playtime

This is my opinion. I encourage you to make your own list and not to grapple with other’s lists too much. This list helped me clarify my values and affects how I vote and donate my resources. It focuses my time as I follow international affairs and inspires me to take action when I believe it will support these values.

No comments: